The Enigma of the Sinaitic Glagolitic Tradition
Continuing the ASF-project The Sinaitic Glagolitic Sacramentary (Euchologium) Fragments (P19608), this project continues the interdisciplinary collaboration of the Institute of Slavic Studies (ISS), University of Vienna (humanities), the Computer Vision Lab, Vienna University of Technology (computer scientists) and the Institute of Science and Technology in Art (ISTA), Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (chemists).
It is devoted to the recording, investigation and critical and facsimile edition of several newly detected Glagolitic manuscripts from St. Catherine's monastery on Mt. Sinai (Sin. slav. 1/N, 3/N-5/N) and the comparative analysis of the whole Sinaitic Old Church Slavonic collection (10th-11th/12th c.), on the one hand, and the further development and application of new technical means for the preservation, investigation and virtual restoration of (damaged) written cultural heritage and its access for the research community, on the other.
In this joint venture three complex results are to be expected:
1. editions and comparative data of the relevant documents (codicology, palaeography, graphemics, and material);
2. improved imaging devices and new computer-programmes for the preservation, analysis and restoration of (damaged) written sources; and
3. the solution of the "Sinaitic Glagolitic Enigma", i.e. new insights in the literary, ecclesiastic and overall cultural history of the Slavs and their connections with the Christian Orient.
- Languages: German, English, Russian, Bulgarian
- Countries: Austria - and cooperations with Russia, Bulgaria, Slovakia, UK, Greece, Italy, et.al.
- Duration: 2011/02/01-2014/01/31
- Keywords: palaeoslavistics, paleography, codicology, graphematics, digital imaging, image enhancement, document analysis, multispectral imaging, toolbox for manuscript analysis, material analysis
- Funding: Austrian Science Fund (project number: P23133)
Project Head: Heinz Miklas (ISS)
Robert Sablatnig (VUT), Manfred Schreiner (ISTA)
Melanie Gau (VUT), Fabian Hollaus (VUT), Dana Hürner (ISS), Gunn Pöllnitz (ISTA), Willi Vetter (ISTA)
Links and references
- Publications 
- Manuscript: Collections of ancient and medieval Slavonic and Russian texts 
- NEWS: Publication announcement of 1st volume of the "Glagolitica Sinaitica" series (with special thanks to the Holzhausen Publishing House) 
- Publication Announcement Faksimile Edition of Psalterium Demetrii Sinaitici