ESawyer (Electronic Sawyer)
The ‘Electronic Sawyer’ presents in searchable and browsable form a revised, updated, and expanded version of Peter Sawyer's 'Anglo-Saxon Charters: an Annotated List and Bibliography', published by the Royal Historical Society in 1968. Its main content derives from Sawyer’s catalogue, with corrections and modifications, and with additional data collected by Dr Susan Kelly, Dr Rebecca Rushforth, and others. Dr Rushforth was also responsible for the development of the database which lies behind the online version of this catalogue.
The ‘Electronic Sawyer’, mounted on a server at the Department of Digital Humanities (DDH), at King’s College London, is an integral part of the KEMBLE website, mounted on a server in the University of Cambridge.
‘Kemble’ is the website of the British Academy-Royal Historical Society Joint Committee on Anglo-Saxon Charters. The BA-RHS Committee on Anglo-Saxon Charters has undertaken this work as part of the publication of a new multi-volume edition of the corpus of Anglo-Saxon charters. Further information about the project, and about ‘Sawyer’, the ‘Revised Sawyer’, and the ‘Electronic Sawyer’, is available on the ‘Kemble’ website.
The production of the ‘Electronic Sawyer’ would not have been possible without the generous support of the Arts and Humanities Research Council in funding the work of Dr Rushforth and others. Dr Kelly’s work, at an earlier stage, was funded by The Leverhulme Trust and The Newton Trust. We are also most grateful to Professor Harold Short, and to CCH, for their expertise and support.
[Text reproduced (with minor edits) from project website with permission.]
- Technical development completed (2011)
- Content undergoing revision (last update 2008)
- Simon Keynes (Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic, University of Cambridge) - Project Director
- Harold Short and Paul Spence - Technical Research Directors
- Zaneta Au - Web Developer (2008 Release)
- John Bradley - Database consultancy
- Beatriz Caballero - Interface Developer (2011 Release)
- Arianna Ciula - Analyst (2008 Release)
- Emma Connolly (ASNC) - Kemble website (2005, 2010)
- Susan Kelly (ASNC) - Research Officer (1991-6)
- Eleonora Litta Modignani Picozzi - Analysts (2008 Release)
- Sean Miller (ASNC) - Revised Sawyer online (1999)
- Rebecca Rushforth (ASNC) - Research Officer (2003-8)
- Peter Stokes - Analyst and Web Developer (2011 Release)
- Paul Vetch - Lead Interface Developer
- Rory Naismith (ASNC), David Pelteret (Independent Scholar), Levi Roach (ASNC), David Woodman (ASNC) - Revised Sawyer